Order Photo Prints

SELF-DRAFTED TOP: WHAT I'D DO DIFFERENTLY

A couple weeks ago I ordered some hunter green cotton gauze I found cheap on Etsy and finally got around to making something with it last week! I got the color because I'm in need of more dark green wear for a cappella performances, and a light fabric because 1) it's summer and 2) it's cheap. This is the first truly comfortable, wearable garment I've sewn and I'm really proud of it!




Cost/materials:
- Fabric: $6/yd (so about $4 for the shirt)
- Buttons: misc. from my family's small sewing stash ($0)
- Thread: what I had in the house ($0)
- Interfacing: leftover ($–I don't remember)
Total: $5 or less + labor


Process:
- Trace the bodice of my sister's Brandy Melville wrap top onto grocery bag paper
- Cut shape out, pin to fabric and cut fabric around it
- Fold paper in half but add a couple inches (for button space)
- Pin and cut fabric 2x for symmetrical front pieces (don't worry about neckline yet)
- Pin and sew (zigzag stitch) front and back pieces together at sides and shoulders
- Sew front neckline down at about a 45 degree angle (without cutting fabric– it droops into the rounded collar that way! That was serendipitous).
- Add about 1" of iron-on interfacing where buttonholes will go, fold fabric over and sew to cover interfacing
- Sew similarly on other side but without interfacing
- Add buttonholes and buttons, as one does
- Hem bottom and armholes
- Hand sew collar in place
Time: about 3h, but that's because I had to pick some seams and figure out as I went


What I'd do differently next time:
- Add interfacing to both the button and buttonhole areas (I was afraid of making the area too thick on thin fabric but it needs it)
- Make bust slightly wider (I have to add a hidden button to keep the bust properly together)
- Use matching thread (I didn't have enough green so there's some black in there...classic Zoph)
- Cut pieces with bigger seam allowance to have more room to finish edges properly
- Make in a heavier fabric (linen maybe?) just for the hell of it


Verdict: cool top! It's comfy! Fits pretty well! I'm gonna wear it a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment